Posts Tagged ‘Rumors’

A day after Jalen Ramsey‘s agent confirmed he’d requested a trade, the Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback addressed the media Tuesday, insisting he didn’t want to distract his teammates.

Ramsey wouldn’t speak directly on the trade request or the motivation behind it, instead espousing “positive energy” and praising the organization, the city, the fans, and his teammates. However, the Jaguars cover man did insist that the news wasn’t leaked by him or anyone on his personal team.

“All I care about is winning, man. Shit,” said Ramsey. “Everybody know that. I wanna fucking win, straight up. Excuse my language. That passion, that fire, that heart … I’mma continue giving that as long as I’m here.”

While the All-Pro maintained that he was focused on Thursday’s game against the Tennessee Titans, he didn’t seem sure he’d still be with the Jaguars. Asked whether he anticipated playing Thursday, Ramsey responded: “Yeah – shit, I think so.”

When asked about how he was being used as “arguably the best corner in the game,” Ramsey interjected: “Ain’t no argument.”

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport originally reported that Ramsey’s trade request was motivated by a confrontation with head coach Doug Marrone in Sunday’s game and frustration over his usage.

During the summer, the Florida State product said his hometown Titans and the Raiders in Las Vegas would be his top two destinations if he were to leave in free agency.

Dustin Byfuglien is contemplating his options while on personal leave from the Winnipeg Jets, reports TSN’s Bob McKenzie, who adds that there’s no timetable for a decision.

The club announced last Friday that the veteran defenseman had been granted a leave of absence. While the reason and timetable weren’t disclosed, head coach Paul Maurice said at the time that the blue-liner was “going to be fine,” and it was “nothing sinister.”

Byfuglien, 34, is entering the fourth year of the five-year, $38-million pact he inked with the Jets in February 2016.

Injuries limited him to 42 games in 2018-19, but he still collected 31 points and led the club in average ice time in his abbreviated campaign.

He’s spent the last nine seasons with the organization after playing his first five campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, with whom he won a Stanley Cup in 2010.

The imposing rearguard ranks fifth on the Jets/Atlanta Thrashers franchise’s games played list, sits third in assists, and slots in fourth in points.

WWE are set to shake their Raw and SmackDown rosters up with a new talent draft kicking off on the 11 October episode of SD held in Las Vegas, Nevada, then concluding on the 14 October Raw in Denver, Colorado, with the company looking to solidify both shows as their FOX TV deal kicks in.

Other specifics on the 2019 Draft haven’t been forthcoming so far, but the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter sheds light on how it will be presented.

Per Dave Meltzer’s writeup, FOX and WWE will attempt to frame it like a “legitimate sports draft” a la other major professional American leagues, and hope that having it start on SmackDown will help the blue brand shed its long-held “B-show” image following the move to Friday nights. This presumably means plenty of coverage across FOX’s various other channels and sports shows. 

It sounds encouraging. While WWE have never touted a “real-sport feel” in the same way as AEW, previous reports have suggested FOX intend on having SmackDown take on that kind of presentation, so what better way than to start with a full-on NBA/NFL style talent draft?

The Usos are set to return to WWE TV soon, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.

The brothers are currently members of the RAW roster but word is that they could be sent back to SmackDown. There’s no word yet on if that roster change would take place in the WWE Draft in mid-October, or if they will just return to the blue brand without an announcement.

It was reported in late August that The Usos were preparing for their returns. They had been out of action following Jimmy Uso’s July 25 DUI arrest in Pensacola, Florida. As noted, The Usos were pulled from WWE SummerSlam Week festivities in Toronto, Ontario, Canada this past August, due to their previous legal troubles. It was reported then that Jimmy was not being allowed into Canada due to the July 25 arrest.

Stay tuned for updates on The Usos returning to action.

Miami may be known for its permissiveness and exhibitionism, but one adult entertainment company appears to be putting those notions to the test.

Local porn studio BangBros says it’s bidding for the naming rights to the Miami Heat‘s longtime home court, the American Airlines Arena. The airline announced Wednesday that it wouldn’t renew its naming agreement after this season.

“To show how serious BangBros is, they have already offered $10 million to Myles Gallagher of Cleveland’s Superlative Group and are suggesting the name BangBros Center (The BBC) as the new home of the Miami Heat for the next decade,” the studio announced Thursday.

Gallager is the outside consultant hired by Miami-Dade County to handle the renaming deal. He told county commissioners last year that the arena’s naming rights were worth at least triple the $2 million paid by American Airlines, according to the Miami Herald’s Douglas Hanks and Taylor Dolven.

The arena has been under the American Airlines name since its 1999 opening. The airline also owns naming rights to the Dallas Mavericks‘ arena, known as the American Airlines Center.

The NFL will give “serious consideration” to placing Antonio Brown on its commissioner’s exempt list after the New England Patriots wide receiver was accused of raping his former trainer in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday, sources told Mark Maske of The Washington Post.

If placed on the list, Brown would be paid but wouldn’t be eligible to play or practice.

It’s unclear whether the league will make a decision before New England’s next game, a Sunday matchup with the Miami Dolphins. Potentially placing Brown on the list is something the NFL “is going to have to focus on,” according to one of Maske’s sources.

The NFL has begun investigating Britney Taylor’s allegations against Brown, and league leaders plan to meet Wednesday to discuss the matter.

Taylor intends to meet with the NFL next week, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The league could allow Brown to start playing for the Patriots, who officially announced his one-year deal on Monday, while the investigation plays out. In that case, the wideout could be placed on the commissioner’s list at a later date.

Brown denied the allegations that he sexually assaulted Taylor on three separate occasions in 2017 and 2018 through his lawyer, Darren Heitner, who tweeted that his client intends to “aggressively defend himself.” 

In a statement, Heitner said “any sexual interaction” between Brown and Taylor “was entirely consensual.”

Brown’s one-year contract is reportedly worth up to $15 million. It contains a $9-million signing bonus, and the Patriots apparently included a $20-million team option for 2020.

Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin may have influenced the club’s decision to ship former linemate Phil Kessel to the Arizona Coyotes.

The Russian sniper asked to be traded if the Penguins kept Kessel, multiple team sources told The Athletic’s Rob Rossi, though Malkin denied it when asked and said his friendship with Kessel is real.

Malkin was tired of feeling caught in the ongoing conflict between his linemate and Pittsburgh head coach Mike Sullivan, multiple team and league sources told Rossi. “By the end of last season, everybody from ownership to management to coaches believed Kessel had to go for Malkin to stay,” Rossi wrote.

Kessel joined the club ahead of the 2015-16 campaign, and his incredible on-ice chemistry with Malkin played a pivotal role in the Penguins capturing back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.

Malkin believed Kessel was content with two titles and mostly interested in his statistics, and the 33-year-old worried he’d be seen in the same light if the American remained his winger, according to Rossi’s team and league sources.

The Penguins traded Kessel to the Coyotes on June 30 in exchange for forward Alex Galchenyuk and defense prospect Pierre-Olivier Joseph.