Posts Tagged ‘investigation’

Cleveland Cavaliers v Golden State Warriors

The NFL will “look into” the domestic dispute involving Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, a league spokesperson told ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio in an email.

The mother of one of Brown’s children told police Brown pushed her during a January argument, causing her to fall to the ground, according to an incident report obtained by Andy Slater of 640 The Hurricane. She told police the two had been at odds about money for their daughter’s hair appointment, according to the report. Brown wasn’t arrested.

Brown’s lawyer, Darren Heitner, wrote in a statement to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler on Wednesday that his client committed no wrongdoing.

“The complainant, who is the mother of Mr. Brown’s child, acknowledged that she refused to leave Mr. Brown’s property after being asked and further refused to leave the doorway of his personal residence,” the statement read. “The complainant did not want to provide a statement or press charges, and asked to retract her report after it was made.”

The incident took place in Florida. It was reported Tuesday by TMZ.

Heitner added that Brown’s family law attorney will file an action in court seeking full custody of the minor child who was involved in the mother’s “false reporting.”

Brown is presumed to be on the trading block after he abandoned the Steelers while they were preparing for a must-win game in Week 17.

Advertisements

On Friday, Seattle Mariners CEO and chairman John Stanton informed employees that an internal review showed accusations of racism and sexism made by a former employee against three team officials are unfounded, reports The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal.

In an email Rosenthal obtained, Stanton said the team took the accusations made by former director of high performance Dr. Lorena Martin seriously.

“Our human resources and legal departments did a thorough internal review, which found there was no basis for the claims,” Stanton wrote. “Major League Baseball has now launched its own investigation, which we fully support. We are confident the outside review will reach the same conclusion.”

In an Instagram post on Monday, Martin said the Mariners have “major issues,” and claimed general manager Jerry Dipoto, manager Scott Servais, and director of player development Andy McKay called Latinos “lazy, dumb and stupid, especially Dominicans.”

The Mariners issued a statement following Martin’s accusations.

“While it is our policy to not comment on personnel issues, we do feel it is important to respond to the outrageous, false claims made by her today on social media,” the team said. “And to note that Martin did not make any of these false allegations until after she was relieved of her duties.

“The Mariners categorically deny that any member of our management or coaching staff made racist remarks regarding any of our players or staff. Additionally, we have not terminated (or threatened to terminate) any trainers during the offseason.”

Martin, whose contract was terminated on Oct. 10, also claimed the Mariners wanted to negotiate a financial settlement to keep her quiet, and that she has email proof showing how they breached her contract.

Martin also said she is under advisement to refrain from speaking with the media, but added, “when ready, I will show proof.”

Federal authorities are investigating Jeffrey R. David, the former chief revenue officer for the Sacramento Kings, on suspicion of embezzlement, according to The Sacramento Bee’s San Stanton and Darrell Smith.

David is suspected of embezzling $13.4 million ($9 million from Golden 1 Credit Union and $4.3 million from Kaiser Permanente) during his time with the Kings so he could purchase real estate in southern California.

His position with the Kings organization was eliminated on June 1, but David currently holds the same title with the Miami Heat, who are cooperating with the investigation.

“Last week, we alerted federal law enforcement to suspicious financial transactions involving a former Kings employee, Jeff David,” the team said in an official statement. “That investigation is underway and on Monday, U.S. Department of Justice authorities began the formal process of recovering and seizing the properties involved in the investigation.

“We appreciate the swift action on behalf of the officials at the FBI and U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California McGregor Scott as they work to complete this investigation and we will take all appropriate action once it is complete.”

Criminal charges have not yet been filed.

Former ROH star Taeler Hendrix recently made allegations saying her run in Ring Of Honor was sabotaged due to the fact she wouldn’t sleep with current-ROH World Champion Jay Lethal.

Hendrix replied to a fan standing up for Lethal’s accomplishments by saying, “the dude you’re standing up for is the same dude that told me because I didn’t sleep with him they sabotaged me and took me off TV. that being the all mighty Jay.”

She also said in a later social media post that her attorneys are working on this case at the moment. These allegations came out a week after Lethal started his second run as ROH World Champion.

Ring Of Honor released a statement to PW Torch on the matter. ROH said they are troubled to hear about these allegations and are taking the matter very seriously. They said appropriate action will be taken after they draw a conclusion following an investigation.

“We were troubled to hear the allegations that surfaced last night on Twitter. We take these matters very seriously and will be investigating this situation thoroughly, reviewing all evidence related to the matter. Ring of Honor strives to provide an environment and workplace where male and female wrestlers are free from any misconduct or abuse. We will take appropriate action upon the conclusion of our findings.”

A former Dallas Mavericks senior account executive watched pornography on his office computer while sometimes showing co-workers images of topless, naked, or lingerie-clad women on his phone, seven current and former Mavs employees told The Dallas Morning News’ Brandon George and Eddie Sefko.

The employees, who requested anonymity, said Chris Hyde’s behavior continued for six years after owner Mark Cuban warned him to stop viewing pornography on his work computer or he’d be fired. His colleagues say Hyde didn’t stop, and five of the ex-employees said they never formally complained to human resources because they thought the actions were common knowledge and accepted by superiors.

Hyde, who was fired in 2014, dropped a used condom onto the office floor in 2011, according to colleagues – who gave Hyde the nickname “Pants DJ” because they sometimes saw him rubbing himself below the waist while seated at his desk. Two sources said Cuban was informed about the condom incident.

The latest news comes as the Mavericks continue an internal investigation headed by new CEO Cynthia Marshall into reports of a workplace culture rife with sexual harassment and outright assault. Former team CEO Terdema Ussery was named repeatedly in a February Sports Illustrated report as an aggressor, while the Mavs fired former writer Earl Sneed shortly after details of domestic violence incidents in his past surfaced (including another Mavs employee’s 2014 report to the team that he’d assaulted her).

The Atlanta Braves now-deposed general manager, John Coppolella, apparently wasn’t forthcoming in MLB’s investigation into the team’s international signings.

The Braves wound up losing 12 prospects acquired through international signings to free agency, and Coppolella was placed on the permanently ineligible list for his role in the signings.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred provided some additional information about why Coopolella was banned during a radio appearance Tuesday.

“I think that it was important to send a message about how seriously we take our rules and how seriously we take violations of those rules, particularly in the international market,” Manfred explained to ESPN Radio’s Golic and Wingo when asked about Coppolella’s ban.

“Secondly, this was behavior that went on over a period of years and very pervasive in terms of the activity … Unfortunately, while the Braves were completely cooperative in the investigative process, I can’t say the same for John.”

A number of front-office changes were the result of the investigation, including Coppolella resigning, while assistant GM Gordon Blakeley and senior advisor John Hart both left their positions as well.

Alex Anthopoulos was named Braves’ GM on Nov. 13.

hi-res-9993f4d305cb5989ca92e1a4fc39cc71_crop_north

The NFL is not expected to make a decision this week regarding the Ezekiel Elliott investigation, a source told NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Commissioner Roger Goodell is waiting upon four outside advisers who attended the league’s meetings with Elliott to finish their work, before making a decision on whether or not the Dallas Cowboys running back will be suspended, Pelissero reports.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday he expected an imminent decision on the investigation. Jones has vehemently defended Elliott throughout the process, maintaining the running back did not participate in an act of domestic violence.

Elliott was never arrested or charged.