Posts Tagged ‘Denver Broncos’

Denver Broncos general manager John Elway attempted to take responsibility for calling his players “soft.”

Elway told reporters last week that the team had gone “soft” during their losing streak and called the Broncos out for the manner in which they were competing.

He attempted to clarify his remarks Tuesday after many players balked at the implication.

“I was talking about everybody in the organization … when you’ve had success sometimes you get soft,” Elway said on Orange and Blue 760.

“I knew before I said it that some guys were not going to like that.”

The Broncos began the season 3-1, but have since lost their last six games and slumped to the bottom of the AFC West. Denver fired offensive coordinator Mike McCoy on Monday.

Advertisements

Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller is near the top of his game, and he credits changing his diet for his sustained success.

Miller tore his ACL during the 2013 season and missed his team’s appearance in Super Bowl XLVIII as a result. The Broncos superstar told The Ringer’s Joe House that the injury motivated him to alter his approach.

“My eureka moment was when I got into the National Football League, my first three years I was eating just like I was in college,” Miller said. “And I was like, ‘Hey, I’m still getting the same kind of success. If I’m playing great on the football field, if I’m still playing on a high level, then why change anything?’ And I had an injury. I had torn my ACL, and whenever you have an injury like that you just sit back and all you can do is think. So I was reprogramming my whole entire life. … And I was like, for me to get ahead and for me to take my game to the next level, I need to get a chef.”

Though Miller initially only had his chef work three days a week, once he noticed he was feeling a lot better, he decided to hire a chef full-time.

“And my body started to change, I started to think (more clearly),” Miller said. “And, boom, here we are today.”

Miller chose Los Angeles as his favorite food city in the NFL, giving a particular shoutout to Erewhon, a natural foods company based out of the city.

“I like L.A. I like Erewhon in L.A. Erewhon is like a farmer’s market, and everything that you cook there is healthy. … You can only be as good as your choices and the environment you’re in, and L.A. has the environment for everybody when it comes to nutritious food,” Miller said.

Broncos Texans Football

Denver Broncos minority owner John Bowlen denied that he’s actively trying to sell his minority stake in the franchise, the team said in a release.

A report surfaced Sunday that Bowlen is planning to sell his 30-to-35 percent of the team because he’s upset about how it’s being run, but the Broncos denied that’s the case.

“Broncos minority owner John Bowlen, accompanied by his advisor, indicated at our Sept. 18 board meeting that he is extremely pleased with the way the organization is being operated under Joe Ellis in the absence of his brother, owner Pat Bowlen,” the statement reads.

Ellis took over the day-to-day operations of the team in 2014 after Broncos majority owner Pat Bowlen stepped away because of Alzheimer’s disease.

“John has never made any statements to the contrary, and at this meeting he voiced his full support for the contract extensions given to Ellis and other key team executives. John also indicated that although he is not actively looking to sell his minority, non-voting stake in the team, he recently was approached by someone who expressed interest in his share of the team. This afternoon, John informed multiple members of the organization that the opinions attributed to him by an anonymous source in a media report did not come from him and do not represent his views.”

The team also noted that Pat’s stake is not for sale, as the plan is to keep it in the Bowlen family.

20121220_051329_broncos-brock-osweiler-122012-2

Brock Osweiler has endured an eventful 18 months since leaving his first NFL franchise, the Denver Broncos – and the quarterback is apparently just happy to be home.

Osweiler appeared to have burned his bridges with the Broncos when he jumped ship for a big-money deal with the Houston Texans in March 2016. But after being released by the Cleveland Browns on Friday, the Broncos re-signed Osweiler as Trevor Siemian‘s backup, with Paxton Lynch sidelined due to a shoulder injury.

On Monday, Osweiler opened up about his decision to leave Denver, calling his return “probably a top five, if not three, day of my life,” according to Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post.

“Any hard feelings? No, and if you look back at all my interviews from the time that I signed with Houston and then traded up to Cleveland, I spoke volumes about this organization, I spoke volumes of this city,” Osweiler said, according to Jhabvala. “I have nothing but love and appreciation for this organization, for John Elway, for Joe Ellis, for the Bowlen family, just for this community itself. Our old neighbors have reached out. This is just such a special place and there’s nothing but love. And that’s how it’s always been.

“I want people to know that decision didn’t come lightly. I didn’t sleep for about a week. I was sick to my stomach every single day. I was a mess. At the end of the day, I tried making the best business decision for myself and my family. Whether I made the best one or not, that could be argued. But the fact of the matter is it was made. I’m not going to live in the past. But I’ve always had nothing but love and appreciation for the Denver Broncos and the city of Denver.”

Osweiler was dumped by the Texans after an abysmal 2016. Houston was forced to send the Browns a second-round pick to take the veteran pivot off its hands, in what was effectively a salary-dump move.

Despite his struggles in Houston and his inability to beat out rookie DeShone Kizer for the Browns’ starting job, Osweiler is still confident in his talents.

“I do see myself as a starter in the National Football League,” Osweiler said, according to Jhabvala. “I feel like I proved that back in 2015. However, in saying that, this is Trevor Siemian’s team, and my job is to be the backup of this football team and do it to the best of my ability. Get the scout team running, get our defense ready to go. And I’m going to embrace that role with everything I have because, like I said, I’m so happy to be back here, and there’s no greater place in the NFL.”

TERRELL RUN KG.jpg

Count Terrell Davis among the many former football players who are understandably uneasy about the long-term impact the sport may have on their lives.

The former Denver Broncos running back detailed the widespread concerns during an interview with the Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post ahead of this weekend’s Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony.

“I can’t lie, we’re all scared,” Davis said. “We’re concerned because we don’t know what the future holds. When I’m at home and I do something, if I forget something I have to stop to think, ‘Is this because I’m getting older or I’m just not using my brain, or is this an effect of playing football? I don’t know that.'”

The comments from Davis come just one week after a study published findings that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head, was discovered in 99 percent of brains of deceased players.

With the new-age information on brain injuries in mind, Davis recalled a well-documented story about him playing through a migraine during a Super Bowl XXXII victory over the Green Bay Packers.

“I think about that moment a lot because if they had the rules in place then, I don’t go back into that game,” Davis said. “And that changes a lot. Am I here? Thank God it didn’t happen like that.”

Davis, who will be inducted alongside the greatest players in football history Saturday night, played seven seasons in the NFL from 1995-2001, all of which with the Broncos.

john-elway-trevor-siemian-tweet

The Broncos and general manager/vice president John Elway have agreed to a new five-year contract extension that will keep him in Denver through the 2021 season, the team announced Monday.

“We’re pleased to reach an agreement on a five-year contract with John to continue leading our football operations,” Broncos president and CEO Joe Ellis said. “During these last six seasons, John’s clearly established himself as one of the best general managers in all of sports. He’s demonstrated impressive football instincts, a strong business acumen, and a consistent ability to build competitive teams.

“There’s no doubt John means a great deal to the Broncos, our fans and the entire community. It was important for us to reach this long-term agreement, and we’re all excited to now turn our full attention toward the 2017 season.”

As reportedly expected, Elway’s new deal is expected to make him the NFL’s highest paid in his position, though the figures are not yet known, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who first broke the news.

Elway will apparently blow the ceiling off the market, earning just under double that of the current highest-paid GMs, Ozzie Newsome of the Baltimore Ravens and John Schneider of the Seattle Seahawks, who both make $3.75 million a year.

It’s hard to argue that Elway doesn’t deserve his big payday, however. The 57-year-old has overseen a highly successful period for the Broncos, in which they’ve posted a winning record in every season and appeared in two Super Bowls, winning one in 2015.

von-miller

Von Miller knows there are far more important things in life than what happens on the football field.

In reference to the apparent revelation that Tom Brady had a concussion last season, the Denver Broncos superstar was asked if he’d self-report a concussion by Dominic Bonvissuto of The MMQB.

Miller gave an affirmative, citing the importance of health and the seriousness of concussions.

“I just play football, it’s not life or death out here,” Miller said. “At the end of the day, I’m just a grown man playing a child’s game. Health is the most important thing. If I get a broken fingernail, I’m coming off the field. If it’s something serious like a concussion, I’m definitely going to go and get it checked out.”

Understanding that no head injury is worth the risk of putting yourself in danger, there are likely countless players who share Miller’s thoughts on reporting concussions.

One of the many challenges the NFL faces in combating the ongoing epidemic, though, is that so many others either don’t want to come off the field or believe they can’t afford to miss time.

Perhaps Miller and other players of his stature speaking out can be a step in the right direction as the league continues to address this all-important issue.