Posts Tagged ‘Criticism’

Former Miami Marlins president David Samson criticized the integrity of the San Diego Padres and general manager A.J. Preller on Monday, accusing the organization of keeping fake medical records.

“It’s not an allegation; it’s a fact,” Samson told Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

“The Padres lied,” Samson added. “They had an entire medical file on a player and didn’t disclose it. Two sets of medical records is what they had. A.J. Preller shouldn’t be allowed in the game. It’s beyond comprehension that he’s still working. They did it to the Red Sox. There are a lot of things you mess with, but you don’t mess with that.”

Preller was suspended in September 2016 after he failed to disclose required medical information on pitcher Drew Pomeranz, who had been traded to theRed Sox.

The executive’s suspension came three months after the Marlins and Padres were involved in a seven-player trade involving pitchers Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea.

Rea was sent back to San Diego when Miami learned of undisclosed medical information after the pitcher suffered an elbow strain during his first start with the Marlins.

Samson was fired by the Marlins in September 2017 and now works as an analyst for CBS.

Advertisements

New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is drawing criticism after he appeared to hesitate rather than dive on an onside kick late in Sunday’s game.

Chicago Bears tight end Daniel Brown recovered the kick with just over a minute remaining in regulation, allowing Chicago to tie the game and send it to overtime – before losing 30-27.

Despite the Giants coming away with the victory, Beckham’s effort on the onside kick is what’s attracting attention.

“It was a great kick. Sometimes somebody makes a better play than you do,” Beckham said after the game, according to Jordan Raanan of ESPN. “I could dive in there and still not get the ball. So it was a very tough call. Nobody should ever question my effort or my heart. That’s the last thing you can do. You can question me as a person, as a man, whatever you want to do, but my heart and my effort can never be questioned, ever.”

The receiver believes the failed recovery was due to a miscommunication with the first line of the hands team rather than any hesitation on his part.

“Honestly, when it took the hop, the guys on the front line kind of looked like we were in a position where we didn’t know if they were going to get it,” Beckham said. “If they wanted me to go get it and I was just so far back when they passed the ball, I was trying to run up there and get in the mix and I got to it late.”

Beckham finished the game with three catches, 35 yards, and one touchdown. He also threw his second touchdown pass of the season on a 49-yard toss to Russell Shepard early in the third quarter.

The three-time Pro Bowler has hauled in 77 passes for 1,052 yards and six touchdowns this season.

X4RZSNUAKFCQXFCB36B3F24TGM

A former general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs believes the current front office made a misstep in re-signing William Nylander.

Minutes before Saturday’s deadline, Nylander and the Maple Leafs agreed to a six-year, $45-million extension, ending a months-long stalemate and avoiding the possibility of the Swedish forward sitting out the remainder of the 2018-19 campaign.

But the deal is apparently too rich for Brian Burke, who served as Maple Leafs GM from 2008 to 2013.

“My objection to the Nylander deal is two-fold. One, he’s the sixth-best player on the team,” Burke said Saturday on Sportsnet’s To The Point. “He’s the sixth-best, arguably the seventh-best, on the Toronto Maple Leafs and they paid him all this money.

“I also think that if they were going to throw this much money at him, they should have done it in August and not had him miss training camp. If you’re going to give away the farm like this, do it early and get him in camp.”

Nylander is the first member of the Maple Leafs’ Big Three to reach restricted free agency, with fellow forwards Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews due for new deals next summer. Those contracts, plus the signing of John Tavares last offseason, could force other players to move elsewhere.

“I do believe (Nylander won the negotiation),” Burke added. “The notion that you’ll put more money on the table late, that’s a lesson that the agents for these other players are going to learn that with Toronto all you have to do is hold out and they’ll up the ante. That’s dangerous ground.”

Well, that escalated quickly.

One day after Dana White called Oscar De La Hoya a “cokehead junkie” for making the Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz trilogy, the retired boxing champion’s personal publicist released a statement on his behalf in response to the UFC president’s rant.

“Dana is so small and threatened by our success with DAZN and now in MMA that he is bringing up news from a decade ago to try to stay relevant,” De La Hoya said, according to a statement, sent by Stefan Friedman. “Boxing has entirely rejected him. And MMA fighters are now realizing they don’t have to risk their lives just so he can get rich.

“Golden Boy and I are moving forward and are bigger than ever. Dana should shut the (expletive) up and try to figure out how to save his own company.”

This past week, De La Hoya told MMAjunkie he’d apologized and made peacewith White after attacking “The Money Fight” between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.

White agrees the beef started there, but apparently he didn’t get the olive branch. In a 10-minute rant, he put De La Hoya on blast for allowing Liddell vs. Ortiz 3 to happen this past Saturday in the headliner of Golden Boy’s MMA debut. Ortiz, 43, defeated the 48-year-old Liddell by first-round knockout.

Triggered by De La Hoya’s opinion that he had no right to tell Liddell to retire, White went straight for the jugular, referring to his rival as “the cokehead, Oscar De La Weirdo” and “Oscar De La Dummy” and mocking a claim that the UFC underpays its fighters.

“Oscar (expletive) De La Hoya says, ‘Oh, come over to Golden Boy where we respect the fighters,’ and it makes me sick what these fighters were paid and all this (expletive),” White said. “Out of 14 fights on the card, five bouts were amateur fights, which means he didn’t pay them jack (expletive). And 12 of the professional fighters on the card made less than ($3,000 and $3,000). What the (expletive) are you talking about, you cokehead junkie? And some of the guys on the card made $1,000 and $1,000. And he respects the fighters so much, he couldn’t remember their names at the press conference.

“I hope somebody talks De La Hoya into fighting again. I hope the state of California makes the fight, and I hope he gets knocked out just like Chuck Liddell in the first round. (Expletive) cokehead nutball.”

Ortiz, who hopes to take a promotional job with Golden Boy after announcing his re-retirement from MMA, stepped to De La Hoya’s defense, writing on Instagram, “This is not about you, it is not about me… I want it to be about the fighters & giving them the opportunity to share in all the rewards this business has to offer to where they don’t have to fight when they are 43 (and) 48.”

The trilogy fight drew almost 8,000 fans to The Forum in Inglewood, Calif. The card underwent multiple changes before its final confirmation, and the pay-per-view purchase of $49.95 was discounted by $10. A Black Friday offer of $19.95 was canceled due to “contractual restrictions.”

Ortiz knocked out Liddell inside one round, avenging a pair of losses to his fellow UFC Hall of Famer over one decade ago. The matchup was roundly criticized in the wake of Liddell’s performance, and the California State Athletic Commission indefinitely suspended “The Iceman.”

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has earned a reputation for publicly calling out his teammates over a career that includes six Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl victories.

The 15-year veteran believes his accomplishments and experience permit him to speak his mind.

“I think I have earned the right to be able to do that with as long as I have been here,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday, according to Chris Adamski of TribLive.com. “I’ll just be just as critical of myself (in the media), as well.”

Roethlisberger criticized wide receivers Antonio Brown and James Washingtonfor their route-running and drops during his weekly radio appearance in Pittsburgh on Tuesday. He also questioned offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner’s play-calling on the Steelers’ final drive.

He maintains his remarks are designed only to bring out the best in his teammates and lead the Steelers to success, not hurt anyone’s feelings.

“I would hope that they would understand that as the quarterback and the captain that I have the right to do those things. I don’t feel like I abuse that situation. So I don’t think it’s an issue, but you would have to ask them,” said Roethlisberger.

His comments seem to have the desired effect as the Steelers sit atop the AFC North at 7-3-1, while Roethlisberger ranks second among all quarterbacks with 3,664 passing yards.

Despite being well-known for his stoic nature, Kawhi Leonard‘s presence has helped spark the Toronto Raptors to a league-best 17-4 record.

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich understands Leonard’s value, having coached the superstar forward for seven seasons before he was dealt north of the border this past summer. But the legendary bench boss suggested leadership wasn’t his forte.

Leonard disagreed with Popovich’s sentiment.

“It’s funny to me, because, I don’t know if he’s talking about last year or not. I guess when you stop playing, they forget how you lead,” Leonard told reporters after the Raptors’ 125-115 win over the Miami Heat on Sunday, according to theScore’s Joseph Casciaro. “Other than that, it doesn’t matter. I’m here with the Raptors and I’m focused on this season, not what’s going on the other side.”

Leonard seemingly understands he’s on the quiet side, but still considers himself a leader, regardless of how his former coach perceives him.

“Lead by example,” Leonard said of how he leads a team. “Coming into practice every day, just going hard. Coming into this game just mentally focused.”

Leonard sat out all but nine games last season and demanded a trade out of San Antonio.

The two-time Defensive Player of the Year is averaging 24.7 points and 8.5 boards through 15 appearances.

The debate about whether Eli Manning deserves a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame has become a hot topic this season, with the quarterback looking a shell of his former self.

Now, the GOAT is weighing in.

“I don’t see Eli as a Hall of Famer,” Jerry Rice said on 95.7 The Game, according to 247Sports’ Dan Schneier. “Drew Brees, I do.”

The New York Giants‘ two-time Super Bowl winner is among the league’s all-time greats in terms of career production, with the sixth-most passing yards and seventh-most passing touchdowns in NFL history.

However, Manning’s turnover rate and lack of playoff appearances are often cited to argue that he doesn’t deserve a place in Canton.

The 37-year-old’s career interception percentage (3.0) is higher than the likes of Blake Bortles (2.8), Andy Dalton, (2.7) and Ryan Tannehill (2.6), according to Pro Football Reference.

Since his second title in 2011, Manning has only played in one postseason game.

“Because when I’m judging a player, I’m looking (at) what he brings to the table. What I see with Eli Manning, there’s not consistency,” Rice said.

“Yes, he has two Super Bowls, but then you look at Drew Brees and what he has accomplished and all of that. I think in yardage now he’s the leader. He’s doing great things for that team, and that team is getting better as they go. You can tell he’s a great leader and he makes everybody around him better.

“So, I would think that Drew Brees is going to be a shoo-in. Eli? There’s a chance of him getting in, but I’m not going to say he’s a true Hall of Famer.”

Ultimately, multiple Super Bowl championships – not the mention the Manning name – means Eli is all but a lock to make it into the Hall of Fame, though there’s a chance that voters view him as this era’s Jim Plunkett.