Posts Tagged ‘Charlotte North Carolina’

1396483598584-size-custom-crop-1086x724

A return to Montreal, a Mexico debut, or a new team in the Carolinas are all potential future scenarios for Major League Baseball, commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday.

Speaking prior to the Home Run Derby in Miami, Manfred remained adamant the the league’s current priority is finding new stadiums for both the Tampa Bay Rays and Oakland Athletics, but acknowledged he believes MLB could be sustainable in three other cities.

“I know the mayor of Montreal has been very vocal about bringing baseball back to Montreal,” Manfred said, according to Mark Newman of MLB.com. “Charlotte’s a possibility. And I’d like to think that Mexico City or some other place in Mexico would be a possibility.”

MLB hasn’t expanded since 1998 when the league added Tampa Bay and the Arizona Diamondbacks, and hasn’t relocated since the Expos left Montreal for Washington at the conclusion of the 2004 season.

allstarlogo

The NBA has finalized a deal to bring the 2019 All-Star Game to Charlotte, N.C., the Hornets announced Wednesday.

The festivities will take place from Feb. 15-17, 2019.

“We are thrilled the league has awarded NBA All-Star 2019 to the city of Charlotte,” Hornets chairman Michael Jordan said in a team statement.

“We want to thank (NBA) commissioner (Adam) Silver for his leadership throughout this process and for the decision to bring NBA All-Star back to Buzz City. All-Star Weekend is an international event that will provide a tremendous economic impact to our community while showcasing our city, our franchise and our passionate Hornets fan base to people around the world. We look forward to serving as hosts for NBA All-Star 2019 and welcoming all visitors and guests to Spectrum Center.”

Silver had announced last month that Charlotte would be eligible to host the event after North Carolina repealed HB2, known as the “bathroom bill,” and replaced it with a compromise law.

“While we understand the concerns of those who say the repeal of HB2 did not go far enough, we believe the recent legislation eliminates the most egregious aspects of the prior law,” Silver said in a Wednesday press release.

“Additionally, it allows us to work with the leadership of the Hornets organization to apply a set of equality principles to ensure that every All-Star event will proceed with open access and anti-discrimination policies. All venues, hotels, and businesses we work with during All-Star will adhere to these policies.”

Charlotte was previously set to host this year’s All-Star weekend before the NBA pulled out and moved the event to New Orleans following the controversy around HB2.

behind-the-scenes-620x324

The Charlotte Hornets could host an All-Star weekend in the future.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced Friday the team will be eligible to host the 2019 All-Star Game in light of North Carolina’s recent repeal of HB2, known as the “bathroom bill.”

Charlotte was originally slated to host the ASG this season, but it was pulled over House Bill 2 – which restricts the rights of LGBT people and was deemed discriminatory by the NBA – and relocated to New Orleans.

North Carolina repealed HB2 last Thursday and is working to replace it with a compromise law. The league’s issues with it still stand until inclusion requirements are met.

The Hornets must also prove they can implement “open-access and anti-discrimination policies” which extend to local venues, hotels, and businesses during the week-long celebration, and hopefully beyond.

“We believe that an All-Star Game in Charlotte could be a powerful way to display our values of equality and inclusion. By engaging even more deeply in North Carolina, we can be part of a larger national effort toward securing LGBT equality,” Silver said at the Board of Governors meeting.

“Ultimately I believe changing attitudes – and not just laws – is what will lead to that result.”

The Hornets responded with elation and indicated they “remain opposed to discrimination of any form.”

“We are excited that the NBA has once again made the City of Charlotte eligible to host All-Star Weekend in 2019,” the team said in a statement released later Thursday.

“We look forward to resuming our discussions with the league on the next steps regarding this international event. We know that our city, our fans, and our business community remain extremely enthusiastic in support of hosting NBA All-Star Weekend.”

The NCAA has also changed its stance on hosting events in North Carolina, announcing last week it will reconsider bringing championship games to the state following the HB2 repeal.

02-laken-game_action-ypp_9432

A person with knowledge of the plans says the NBA will discuss whether to bring the 2019 All-Star Game to Charlotte at its Board of Governors meeting this week.

The person tells The Associated Press that the NBA board was already planning to discuss the matter at its meeting Thursday, though it’s not known if a decision will be made. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the board’s agenda is not publicized.

The league pulled this year’s All-Star event out of Charlotte and it went to New Orleans instead. The NBA had it said it hoped the All-Star Game could go to Charlotte in 2019 if changes had been made to a North Carolina law that limited anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay and transgender people.

North Carolina has repealed the ”bathroom bill” and replaced it with a compromise law. The NCAA said Tuesday it would again consider the state as a host for championship events.

The 2018 All-Star Game is already set for Los Angeles.

usa-today-8331264-0-e1457493184850-770x433

MLS commissioner Don Garber revealed plans for the next round of expansion Thursday, declaring an intention to announce the league’s 25th and 26th sides during the second or third quarter of 2017.

With Atlanta United FC and Minnesota United FC slated to join the ranks next season, and Miami and Los Angeles FC set to make their debuts for the 2018 campaign, the North American top flight is poised to grow to 24 clubs.

Garber fancies two more, with Thursday’s announcement confirming a $150-million expansion fee for prospective clubs, and that the two teams will join the league for the 2020 season, according to MLSSoccer.com.

“There is tremendous interest in professional soccer across the United States and Canada,” said Garber. “Since announcing plans to expand to 28 clubs late last year, many potential ownership groups have contacted us, and numerous public officials have stated their desire to bring an MLS expansion team to their city.

“We look forward to reviewing expansion applications in the coming months and conducting formal meetings in 2017 with possible team owners.”

Garber first announced in December plans to expand the league to 28 teams, with Thursday’s announcement both specifying a time frame and the ten cities interested in an expansion side.

Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, and Tampa/St. Petersburg have all expressed an interest in joining MLS.

Applications must be submitted by Jan. 31, 2017.

The statement also revealed that aspiring teams must submit documentation focusing on three criteria: ownership, stadium, and financial projections. Considering that, the three key aspects for candidates, as listed on the league’s website, are:

  • A committed local ownership group that has a passion for the sport, a deep belief in Major League Soccer and the resources to invest in the infrastructure to build the sport in their respective market.
  • A market that has a history of strong fan support for soccer matches and other sporting events, is located in a desirable geographic location and is attractive to corporate sponsors and television partners.
  • A comprehensive stadium plan that ensures the club will have a proper home for their fans and players while also serving as a destination for the sport in the community.

The MLS expansion committee is comprised of ownership representatives from the New England Revolution, Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, Orlando City SC, and Philadelphia Union.

michael-jordan10750xx4256-2394-0-437

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Michael Jordan has called for peaceful demonstration and conversation in the wake of the violent protests in Charlotte.

Jordan expressed condolences to the family of Keith Scott, a 43-year-old African-American man who was killed by a black police officer, and to those injured in the ensuing protests in a statement Thursday.

The Hornets owner said, ”In light of the tragic events of the past three days, it is more important than ever that we restore calm and come together, as a community, in peaceful demonstration and conversation, and in constructive and non-violent ways.”

The Hornets team store was looted on Wednesday during the protests.

Jordan says the Hornets are committed to working with ”elected leaders and law enforcement to foster more trust, transparency and understanding so we can heal and grow together as a community.

1987107_orig

With civil unrest gripping downtown Charlotte after a second night of riots, the Carolina Panthers say they’re “continuing to monitor events” ahead of Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.

The Panthers and the NFL have discussed the possibility of moving the Week 3 contest, a source told FOX 46 Charlotte, though the league said the game is currently going ahead as scheduled in a statement released Thursday.

“We are in contact with government officials, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, and the NFL,” team president Danny Morrison said in a statement Thursday. “We are continuing to monitor events as we prepare for Sunday’s home game.”

North Carolina’s governor has declared a state of emergency in the city, after violence was sparked over the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officer.