Posts Tagged ‘Apology’

Ottawa Senators forward Matt Duchene faced the music for the first time since a video showing him and six of his teammates in an Uber in Phoenix mocking assistant coach Martin Raymond went viral Monday.

Following the Senators 7-3 win over the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday, Duchene spoke to reporters apologizing profusely to Raymond for the team’s remarks.

“I can only say what I’m about to say on the matter, I want to take this opportunity to extend my absolutely sincerest apologies to Marty Raymond,” Duchene said, according Murray Pam of Sporting News Canada. “He’s a heck of a person, a coach, and he did not deserve what we said.”

None of the seven players featured in the video (Duchene, Thomas ChabotChris WidemanColin WhiteChris TierneyAlex Formenton, and Dylan DeMelo) spoke earlier Tuesday during the team’s morning skate and none were expected to speak following Tuesday’s contest.

Mark Stone spoke to reporters Tuesday morning, where he noted that the team had already addressed the situation and were looking to move past it.

Advertisements

Khabib Nurmagomedov apologized for his actions that kicked off a massive brawl at UFC 229 in his post-fight press conference, saying “this is not my best side” before turning his ire to Conor McGregor and the Irishman’s insults during the run-up to the superfight in Las Vegas.

“He (McGregor) talked about my religion, he talked about my country, he talked about my father, he come to Brooklyn and he broke bus,” said an angry Nurmagomedov. “He almost kill couple of people. What about this? What about this shit?”

Nurmagomedov also revealed that Russian president Vladimir Putin called to congratulate him after his fourth-round submission victory. McGregor was Putin’s guest at the World Cup final, and he used the connection to trash talk his opponent.

Following his statement, Nurmagomedov left without taking any questions. He later thanked fans for their support in an Instagram post.

Kyrie Irving has once again weighed in on the shape of the planet he calls home. Hopefully for the last time, he says.

The Boston Celtics‘ star was asked to clarify his previous – and widely lampooned – statements about the shape of Earth during a discussion at the Forbes Under 30 Summit. The 26-year-old appeared to regret suggesting the planet is flat.

“Hopefully after this, I’m done answering these kinds of questions,” Irving said with a laugh.

Irving said his anti-science skepticism came from falling down the proverbial YouTube rabbit hole.

“At the time, I just didn’t realize the effect,” Irving said of his declarations, which ignored hundreds of years of scientific progress. “I was definitely like, ‘I’m a big conspiracy theorist, you can’t tell me anything.’ So, I’m sorry about all that. For all the science teachers, everybody coming up to me like, ‘I have to re-teach my whole curriculum,’ I’m sorry. I apologize.”

While Irving’s insistence on the planet being flat was largely derided, some of his more impressionable fans bought into the rhetoric. Last year, a middle-school teacher said that some of his students became flat-Earth truthers after listening to Irving’s guest appearance on a podcast hosted by former teammates Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye.

The Saudi Arabian Sports Authory – who funded WWE’s elaborate trip to the country this past Friday – have issued a scarcely believable apology after the company accidentally displayed ‘scantily clad’ women during the show.

State broadcasters slashed the feed when WWE aired an ad featuring its female stars – though the footage still reached the eyes of the 60,000 people in attendance. The ad in question was the ‘Best of Both Worlds’ skit promoting future cross-branded Raw and SmackDown events.

After the event, the General Sports Authority released the following apology on their Twitter account (translation courtesy of Reddit user ‘compromise’):

The General Sport Authority would like to apologise to the viewers and attendees of last night’s WWE event that took place in Jeddah, over the indecent scene involving women that appeared as an ad before a segment. It would like to confirm its total disapproval, in the shadow of its commitment to eliminate anything that goes against the community’s values.

The authority has made sure to ban [the] showing of any segment that involves women wrestling or any scenes related to it, and stipulated that to [WWE]. The authority also disapproved any promotional material with pictures of videos showing women in an indecent way, and emphasised on commitment to this rule. It’s a commitment that the authority [will] commit to forever in all of its events and programs.

Throughout the broadcast, announcers harped on about just how progressive Saudi Arabia is thanks to their multi-billion dollar Vision 2030 programme, propaganda paid for as part of the regime’s propagation of soft diplomacy. The words, unlike the women, are even more nakedly hyperbolic in the wake of the above statement. WWE’s decision to partner with the Saudi regime is looking increasingly embarrassing, a venal cash-grab which makes a mockery of any of the company’s alleged pledges to social causes, and in particular, their much vaunted ‘women’s evolution’.

Prior to the event, Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque defended the decision to run a show on which women were strictly forbidden, noting that in doing so the company were helping bring about a “significant cultural shift” in the Kingdom.

Well, see above: An ‘apology’ of this nature by their new wealthy bedfellows puts WWE in an invidious, borderline indefensible position. All that oil money will look lovely to the bottom line, but in smearing the promotion’s reputation like this, it probably wasn’t worth it.

Gregg Zaun, the longtime Toronto Blue Jays broadcaster who was fired by Sportsnet last week for what was described as inappropriate behavior and comments, issued an apology Monday.

In the apology, which Zaun posted on his Facebook page, the former big-league catcher noted that before learning of the allegations – Rogers Media president Rick Brace said in a statement last week that several women accused Zaun of “inappropriate behavior and comments” – he “naively believed that my language and behaviour were not considered offensive.” Zaun, who said he was blindsided and emotionally gutted by the allegations, also stressed that he would have corrected his behavior had he not been blind to the “impact of (his) actions.”

Here’s the full statement:

Without any exception whatsoever, I want to issue an absolute apology for any harm or distress which may have been caused by my comments with any female colleagues over the recent past. It has never been my intention to give offense to anyone.

I have done a lot of soul searching over the last few days and know that my ignorance of the harm caused by my language does not excuse it – for which I accept responsibility. While I am well recognized for my unfiltered criticism of others within the sports world, which has made many critics and enemies – in ignorance I allowed a similar attitude to influence all aspects of my lifestyle, causing distress for female colleagues.

For more than 10 years now, I have had the privilege of working with the most amazing and talented people and I am agonized to learn that they were affected negatively by me. I apologize deeply to all my colleagues and friends for any offense. I cherish and am proud of our achievements working together.

In the past, when brought to my attention that I demonstrated poor judgement or language and gave offence, I sought to change my behaviour and apologize for any hurt caused. My remorse in the activities drawn to my attention by Rogers this week affecting unnamed individuals, is that it was never raised before and I naively believed that my language and behaviour were not considered offensive. I regret my blindness to the impact of my actions that I would have corrected at the time, rather than allowing the harm felt to continue to fester.

I have been blindsided and emotionally gutted by the allegations and will continue to be regretful.

As I look to the future, I am fortunate enough to be surrounded and supported by family, close friends, and colleagues on whom I will continue to rely and thank for their support.

Before joining Sportsnet as a full-time broadcast analyst in 2011 following his retirement, Zaun spent five seasons with the Blue Jays, appearing in 535 games with the club from 2004-08.

Rick Tocchet is sorry.

The Arizona Coyotes head coach apologized to fans of his team following Saturday’s 6-2 loss to the Boston Bruins. It was the fifth-straight defeat for the Coyotes, as Arizona remains winless on the season, holding an 0-4-1 record.

“I’m embarrassed,” Tocchet told Sarah McLellan or The Arizona Republic. “I apologize to the fans.”

Tocchet is in his first year behind the Coyotes’ bench following an eight-year run by former head coach Dave Tippett. His hiring was part of a major offseason makeover by the club, which has failed to qualify for the playoffs in each of the past five years.

But the team’s summer acquisitions – including Derek Stepan, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jason Demers, and goaltender Antti Raanta – have yet to deliver in the early goings of the new season.

“When pressure hits this team for some reason, adversity, they just forget where to go and then they just starting running around,” Tocchet added.

Tocchet’s next opportunity to win his first game with Arizona comes Tuesday when the Coyotes take on the Dallas Stars.

0828-art-briles-getty-11

Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young issued an apology one day after the club hired former Baylor coach Art Briles and then released him amid intense public and league pressure.

Young apologized via the club’s website for the decision to bring in the disgraced coach:

We made a large and serious mistake. We want to apologize to our fans, corporate partners and the Canadian Football League. It has been a difficult season and we are searching for answers. This is clearly not one of them. We have listened, we are reviewing our decision-making processes and we will learn. We will go on. We want to thank our fans, partners and the CFL for their help and support.

Briles was dismissed by Baylor in May in the wake of a sexual assault scandal that rocked the institution. CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie convinced the Tiger-Cats to drop the 61-year-old last night, just hours after they announced the hiring, according to Drew Edwards of 3DownNation.

Hamilton is winless on the season and sits dead last in the CFL in a number of offensive categories. Briles’ offense regularly ranked among the best in college football, and his familiarity with new head coach June Jones likely led to the move to bring him in.