Archive for the ‘WWE’ Category

asuka-2-696x363

Nia Jax vs. RAW Women’s Champion Asuka is now official for the WWE Backlash pay-per-view.

This weeks RAW saw Jax win a Triple Threat over WWE NXT Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair and Natalya to become the new #1 contender. This will be Asuka’s first title defense since Becky Lynch relinquished the title to her and announced her pregnancy earlier this month.

The 2020 WWE Backlash pay-per-view will take place on June 14, reportedly from the closed-set WWE Performance Center in Orlando.

Below is the current Backlash card:

WWE Title Match
Bobby Lashley vs. Drew McIntyre (c)

Handicap Match for the WWE Universal Title
The Miz and John Morrison vs. Braun Strowman (c)

RAW Women’s Title Match
Nia Jax vs. Asuka (c)

Edge vs. Randy Orton

419 (2)

The Undertaker told the Toronto Sun that he expects his next WWE match to be his last.

‘The Deadman’ has almost called it quits several times over the past few years; as shown in his excellent ‘Last Ride’ series on WWE Network, ‘Taker nearly walked away from an iconic career after bouts against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 33, John Cena at ‘Mania 34 and following a tag-team match with Kane against Shawn Michaels and Triple H at Crown Jewel 2018.

Thank God that Saudi nightmare isn’t everyone’s lasting memory of him though.

The 55-year old legend noted that he has painfully high expectations of himself, and he refuses to use age as can excuse for not meeting them. He wants his final match to be ” befitting what I feel like the legacy of The Undertaker deserves”.

It appears his ‘Boneyard’ brilliance opposite AJ Styles at ‘Mania 36 wasn’t enough.

‘Taker admitted in the interview that he knows he’s risking “long-term health/damage” by striving to be the worker he was in his prime, but he wants to go out on a high with a match that everyone can be proud of.

One more ‘Last Ride’? Looks like it.

D7Se46tWwAU1sDx

WWE NXT Superstars Chelsea Green and Robert Stone of The Robert Stone Brand released two new videos this week called, “A Moment with Chelsea Green.”

The videos show Green abusing “the help” while giving a tour of her summer home and interviewing a potential addition to her team, which doesn’t work out in the end.

Green took shots at other members of the NXT women’s division when responding to the videos with a tweet, showing how she believes she’s a ratings draw for NXT.

Green wrote, “Imagine @WWENXT thinking girls with coloured hair could possibly draw higher ratings than me. Laugh with me… L O L”

Mia Yim responded to those comments and wrote, “You color your hair too, dumbass”

Green dismissed Yim’s comments with a GIF.

There’s no word yet on if these segments were done for NXT TV, or if this is just something Green and Stone did separate from the company as they have created some of their own content as of late.

b3af1dc5571b-600x338

Did The Undertaker have a solution that would’ve prevented the infamous ‘Montreal Screwjob’ from ever taking place?

During an interview with Bill Simmons, the iconic ‘Deadman’ revealed he would’ve been happy to play middle man so Bret Hart didn’t need to do business with Shawn Michaels at all. ‘Taker knew that neither man really wanted to do the job for the other, but his plan offered an alternative.

It made perfect sense to The Undertaker that Bret would lose the WWF Title to him at Survivor Series 1997 (leaving the company for WCW shortly thereafter) before ‘Taker dropped it in turn to Michaels on the following night’s episode of Raw.

Failing that, he would’ve been up for losing it on the very next pay-per-view if that didn’t suit.

The Undertaker admitted to Simmons that he was “p*ssed” by the murky drama that was dragging everyone down, and he only wishes he’d gone to Vince and told him what he was thinking.

Instead, Bret got screwed and left for WCW with a bitter taste in his mouth. ‘Taker’s plan, had it been hatched, could’ve prevented a lot of bad blood.

w1Jnad8

Taynara Conti originally didn’t accept WWE’s initial offer.

In an interview with Ring The Belle, Conti revealed WWE offered her a contract after seeing one of her photo shoots, but that she wasn’t sure what they were. Conti said the company was looking for Brazilian talent like her.

“(The photographer) asked what if we do a photo shoot in (a judo) kimono,” Conti said. “Then he was like, ‘Let’s do a sexy one,’ and I wanted to do it to piss (off) my ex-boyfriend. When he posted the pictures on his Instagram. He was from France so he had a lot of followers, and WWE found my pictures. They were looking for Brazilian talents. They figured out that I was not just a model, and someone contacted me. I was like, ‘No.’ I didn’t have any idea what it is. To be honest, I thought it was something with like prostitution.”

Conti’s name in WWE came from combining her name with her husband’s last name, which was perfect for her since she didn’t change her name after marrying him. Although she was the butt of some jokes because of her name, Conti said it didn’t bother her.

“I don’t care,” she said. “You need to do so much to really affect me. If they’re having fun, it’s whatever.

“It is my husband’s last name. My husband is half Italian, ‘Conti’ is an Italian name. But then I think WWE found out all the jokes and stuff, and they changed it. They took out ‘Conti.'”

Conti signed with WWE at the tail end of 2016 and was sent to the Performance Center to train. She wrestled in both iterations of the Mae Young Classic, though didn’t find much success during her time in NXT.

Conti was released from WWE in April amid the many coronavirus related cutbacks and releases. She said being released was tough to deal with at first.

“I was not expecting it at all,” she said. “When I talked to them a couple of months ago, they told me that they are not letting me go. Not gonna lie, what a bad moment. When I got the call, I was by myself at home, and I was just crying. I just started crying, and they were like, ‘Okay I’m gonna, you know, let you digest.’

“I was feeling really bad for a couple of days, but after that I was happy. Of course, that was not the right time for me, because I was not expecting that in the middle of the pandemic. I don’t know much about indie or other companies, but I know I can learn, and it’s exciting. There’s no chance I’m going back to Brazil and forgetting about wrestling.”

Conti is excited to continue her career in wrestling on the indie scene. She said she was grateful for her time in WWE, but she wasn’t happy in her final months working there.

“I was not happy there in the last couple of months,” she said. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity. I will never forget that it changed my whole life, and I will be forever grateful. But at the same point, I need to get better. I need to think about my future. I need to feel that I’m useful. I was trying to have conversations asking for opportunities. I never asked for something big. I never asked for a TakeOver. I never asked for a title shot, because I know everything’s step by step. But I was like, ‘Oh I have been doing this for a long time.’

“I think it’s time to get better. It’s time to show them more about me. I have never done a promo. I was never in a storyline. (WWE kept) saying that I’m good, that I’ll be a star. All the feedback was always amazing. I tried to change like a hundred times. Believe me, I pitched like a hundred different gimmicks. They were like, ‘No keep doing what you’re doing. Just keep going, the opportunity is coming.’ But opportunities never came.”

During her time in WWE, Conti showed how proud she was of her Brazillian roots. She represented the country during her Mae Young Classic runs and poses with the Brazilian flag often. She said no matter what she does next, she hopes to represent her country proudly.

“I feel in my heart, that I was born to represent my country and to represent my people,” she said. “I don’t know where. I don’t know how. But somehow I will represent them. I will always do my best to represent my people and my country.”

EUsTR6qWoAE4iVx

One-half of the WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions, Alexa Bliss, is trending on Twitter today after she called out podcaster JDfromNY206 for some comments he made in the past about her ring work.

A Twitter user posted a video of JD saying that he guarantees that Alexa “is one of those women out there who just takes it [in bed], she does nothing,” adding, “Can you imagine being in bed with Alexa Bliss as she performs the same way she does in the ring? Awful! All looks and no substance whatsoever!”

Alexa responded to the comments, tweeting, “Normally I ignore his ignorance Bc all he wants is to be recognized by bashing me… but ex freaking scuse me sir??? … HOW DARE YOU discredit my work in such a disgraceful way.”

Several other stars chimed in, including Sonya Deville, Braun Strowman and Paige.

Paige wrote, “This is the problem right here. HES one of the problems. Cyber bullying is NOT okay and to this extent too? What a disgrace and I’m assuming he’s supposed to be a reporter of some sorts? Shame on you JD. Your work is incredible @AlexaBliss_WWE pay no mind to ignorance like this.”

Deville warned, “I pray I run into this dude one day.”

Strowman also had some choice words, tweeting, “This sad ass MARK talking like he even knows what it’s like to share a bed with a woman. He should prob stick to talking about wrestling cause he doesn’t know s–t about it either but atleast he can pretend he does. Oh and eating hot pockets his mom makes him!!! #Trash”

deonna-purrazzo-600x375

After making some appearances as enhancement talent for WWE, Deonna Purrazzo was chosen to perform at All In in 2018. However, shortly after being listed on the card, WWE made her a contract offer and she joined NXT instead of performing at All In.

But Purrazzo wasn’t used much by WWE during her two years in NXT. She was asked if WWE signed her just because she was announced for All In when she joined The Wrestling Inc Daily podcast.

“Yes, and I probably said that to some of the wrong people in NXT,” admitted Purrazzo. But I 100 percent feel like me being announced for All In… this culminated in, ‘she’s gonna go somewhere else and do something good with other people’ so we’re gonna bring her here. If they had done something with me, then that would have been fine. But I feel that in the last year or two with AEW, [WWE] tended to be hoarding. Talent wasn’t being released but so much talent was being brought in that I suffered from so many women coming in and then we’re all from the same background.

In addition to NXT bringing in lots of female talent all at one, Purrazzo says the creative ideas she pitched weren’t received favorably or even at all.

“It just fell on deaf ears because the attention wasn’t for me to be a Superstar. It was just maybe to take me off the table,” stated Purrazzo.

She then talked about the culture at NXT and if other talents had similar frustrations to what she had.

“I really felt the culture was ‘you should be grateful for what you have and don’t ask for more.’ Maybe before I got to NXT there was a procedure where you came in, you learned, you waited and then maybe a year or two you’d be put on TV,” said Purrazzo. “But when I started, there was women that came from the indies and were successful so it’s like, I’m not gonna sit around and wait. I’m not gonna twiddle my thumbs and be happy I have a job at NXT. I’m gonna push the boundaries and push you to do more with me.

“I know I felt that way and there’s a ton of people who felt that way. Ultimately, when all of these releases happened it was the people voicing frustration and maybe the idea that they didn’t wanna be here anymore if nothing was gonna happen. Maybe being released was the best option and I think that was the case with a lot of people that ended up being released.”

With Purrazzo pulling out of All In to sign with WWE, she was asked if that decision could potentially affect any negotiations with AEW.

“I don’t know. I feel like there was probably some, ‘Oh, that sucks’ because I commit to doing All In and I actually tried to push my WWE signing date back so I could still do All In. But WWE wasn’t having it,” stated Purrazzo. “I have to pick and choose those battles but I don’t if it’s affected anyone negatively. That’s not anything I’ve heard or has stopped me from being friendly with people that work for AEW.”

Purrazzo said she would apologize if need be, and looking back, she regrets the decision considering how her time in WWE played out.

“It sucks because I thought [WWE] was my dream come true but it just happened to not be. So, it’s gonna be interesting to see these negotiations and see where I land,” said Purrazzo.

Normally, other promotions would be eager to scoop up some of the recently released WWE talent. But we’re in the middle of a pandemic and Purrazzo was asked if there is a buyer’s market for wrestlers at the moment.

“Yeah, I think a lot of us have sparked interest in other companies. I think I’ve kinda put more of a target on my back by being like, ‘I wanna prove WWE wrong.’ So now it’s my job to get out there and see what opportunities there are,” stated Purrazzo. “I’m really excited for this non-compete clause to be up for me in the next week or so and get back into wrestling for maybe one of these other companies still running shows without crowds.”