Archive for the ‘Boxing’ Category

Floyd Mayweather denied that he ever agreed to fight kickboxing superstar Tenshin Nasukawa in a lengthy Instagram post Wednesday.

“Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regards to the upcoming event on December 31 that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan,” the boxer wrote.

The Rizin Fight Federation announced Sunday that Mayweather would fight Nasukawa on Dec. 31 in Japan.

Mayweather said he was under the impression that he would participate in a private three-round, nine-minute exhibition against an opponent of Rizin’s choosing for a “small group of wealthy spectators.” After arriving at the press conference, Mayweather said he and his team were “derailed” by the way the event was being characterized.

“For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that, I am truly sorry,” Mayweather wrote. “I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements, and occasional small exhibitions.”

Mayweather (50-0) has yet to fight since defeating Conor McGregor in an August 2017 bout that was dubbed “The Money Fight.”

Nasukawa remains unbeaten in mixed martial arts and kickboxing.

Advertisements

Conor McGregor is expressing interest in a rematch with Floyd Mayweather and an eventual meeting with Georges St-Pierre once UFC 229 is in the rearview mirror.

“The Notorious” will step into the Octagon on Saturday for the first time since Nov. 2016. He’ll take on Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC lightweight championship, a belt McGregor was previously stripped of due to inactivity.

“I would like to box him again,” McGregor said of another matchup with Mayweather on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.

McGregor fought Mayweather in the ring last year, losing via TKO in the 10th round. The Irishman added he’d gladly welcome Mayweather into the Octagon, but doubts the 50-0 boxer would jump over into the MMA world.

When asked about other potential bouts, McGregor admitted he’s open to a clash with St-Pierre.

“I don’t think next though,” he said, noting that St-Pierre doesn’t have a title for him to take or a personal score with him to settle.

St-Pierre previously revealed he’s interested in fighting the winner of McGregor-Nurmagomedov. St-Pierre and McGregor represent two of the five fighters in UFC history to win a championship in multiple weight classes.

“I’m gonna do fights that interest me or that have meaning,” McGregor said.

As for a possible rubber match with Nate Diaz, the 30-year-old said a third fight will happen at some point.

“I will always give that man his rematch,” he told the show. “He gave me a rematch, I give him a rematch, that’s the way it is. When it will happen, I don’t know. … We will complete that trilogy, no doubt about it.”

McGregor holds a 10-1 record in UFC action heading into his blockbuster title fight with Nurmagomedov, who boasts a spotless 26-0 professional record.

LeBron James and his production company SpringHill Entertainment have several film and television projects in the works, but there’s one that has the Los Angeles Lakers star particularly excited.

As HBO first announced in 2016, James and Maverick Carter will serve as executive producers on a multi-part documentary about the life of Muhammad Ali titled “What’s My Name.”

After HBO shared a trailer for the documentary Saturday, James tweeted, “One of my favorite projects we’ve done!! My GOODNESS it’s so good!”

Other upcoming projects produced by James and Carter include the Showtime documentary series “Shut Up and Dribble,” a competition series for CBS, an NBC comedy series inspired by the upbringing of reigning NBA Rookie of the Year Ben Simmons, and an NBC basketball drama called “Hoops.”

Mike Tyson is eyeing a role in the movie version of “Downton Abbey.”

Tyson is a big fan of the British period drama series, and told The Sun’s Rod McPhee he’d be thrilled if he was approached about starring in the film, which is reportedly set to begin production this year.

“If the producers of the new movie were to call me up, the answer would be a ‘Yes.’ I’d love to appear in ‘Downton Abbey,'” he said.

The boxing legend also has some ideas on what character he could play.

“Maybe I could play an American musician, or I could be very aristocratic,” he said. “An aristocrat would be a good role to play. That would be great fun. God willing.”

Tyson stars alongside Jean-Claude Van Damme and Hafthor Bjornsson, aka “The Mountain” from HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” in the action flick “Kickboxer: Retaliation,” due out later this month.

It’s become quite clear Conor McGregor’s brand transcends mixed martial arts, but if his longtime coach, John Kavanagh, has it his way, the fighter will be stepping back into the Octagon this year.

Kavanagh, who was in the Irishman’s corner as he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August, believes the next 12 months will be a successful venture, regardless of what avenue his fighter decides to travel down.

“I think 2018 will be another big year for us,” Kavanagh told BBC Northern Ireland on Sunday. “Exactly what that is, I don’t know yet. The plan is forming, but as they say, stay tuned. … My opinion, I’ll be pushing very hard for MMA. The boxing was a nice detour from what we’ve done, but mixed martial arts is my passion.”

While McGregor is still deciding what his next move will be – whether it be in the Octagon, a boxing ring, or wherever else life takes him, Kavanagh says the fighter has gotten back to training regularly recently and reminded the rest of the UFC who still owns the lightweight division.

“Conor’s still the champion. They can say what they want – I have his belt at home, actually,” Kavanagh said. “He’s still the champion.

“He’s making the decision on what makes sense for the next move. It’s kind of early days yet. We’re just watching how that has developed while he’s been away – he’s had other things on. Let’s see what happens in 2018. I’m excited about it, anyway.”

“If I have anything to do with it, he’ll be in the octagon this year.”

Mike Tyson is looking to cash in on the legalization of recreational marijuana in California.

The former heavyweight boxing champion recently broke ground on Tyson Ranch, a 40-acre plot of land in California City – about 60 miles southwest of Death Valley National Park – that will be used to produce high-quality strains of THC and CBD and conduct research on the health benefits of marijuana, according to Gary Trock of The Blast.

The property will also house a plant and supply store, extraction facility, edible factory, “glamping” campgrounds and cabins, amphitheater, and a Tyson Cultivation School to teach growers how to develop their own strains.

One of Tyson’s business partners, Robert Hickman, told The Blast the “undeveloped lands are primed to be cultivated.”

Floyd Mayweather has filed a lawsuit against his ex-girlfriend, Shantel Jackson, claiming she stole an undisclosed amount of money from him.

According to court documents obtained by TMZ Sports, Mayweather alleges Jackson gained access to his credit cards and took cash from around his house to go on shopping sprees. The lawsuit also claims Jackson shipped the items she bought to a secret location so Mayweather wouldn’t find out.

A lawyer representing the boxing star says Jackson would publicly praise him when he was being criticized solely to gain his confidence, and he didn’t find out about the alleged stealing until a mutual friend told him Jackson had bragged about it.

“As a result of that confidence, Mayweather, whose education ended at eighth grade, did not audit or otherwise inspect either his cash or his credit card statements for theft by Jackson,” the lawsuit states.

Jackson filed a lawsuit against Mayweather in 2014 accusing him of assault, battery, defamation, and invasion of privacy.