Calgary mayor willing to continue arena talks with Flames

Posted: 19/10/2017 in NHL, Sports
Tags: , , , , ,

A seat is open at the negotiation table if the Calgary Flames are willing to talk.

That’s the stance from Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi, who was re-elected for a third term Monday, and who remains open to discussing a new arena with the club.

“As I’ve said for many, many weeks, the city has never left the table,” Nenshi said in his victory speech Monday, per Donna Spencer of the Toronto Star.

“When they’re ready to come back to the table and have a discussion understanding this mandate from Calgarians, we are ready and willing to have that discussion with them.”

Last month, the Flames walked away from negotiations after president and CEO Ken King declared talks with the city as “spectacularly unproductive.”

Both sides have since disclosed their proposals to the public, with the city offering a three-part model to be funded by the team, public dollars, and ticket surcharges. The Flames’ proposal included a $275-million payment from the team.

With negotiations at a standstill, the Flames now consider the file closed, stating the team will play out of the 34-year-old Scotiabank Saddledome for as long as it is deemed feasible.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s