Report: Jeb Bush backed out of Marlins’ bid over dispute with Jeter

Posted: 03/06/2017 in MLB, Sports
Tags: , , , , , ,


Former Florida governor Jeb Bush’s decision to back out of his attempt to purchase the Miami Marlins reportedly came about thanks to a dispute with his would-be partner, former New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, sources close to the situation told Joan Murray of CBS 4 Miami on Tuesday.

The issue apparently stemmed from a discussion regarding which roles each man would play in running the team, according to CBS Miami’s source. A report earlier in May suggested Jeter would run the team’s baseball operations department while Bush would man the business side of things. However, per the CBS report, Jeter reportedly desired a larger all-around role with the team.

Still, while Bush has apparently soured on purchasing the National League squad, Jeter remains interested in pursuing ownership of the Marlins and is reportedly considering putting together a new bid. Jeter and Bush have also remained friends following the “amicable” split, CBS reported.

The Bush-Jeter group was one of two leading bidders looking to buy the Marlins from the club’s longtime owner Jeffrey Loria, alongside a group fronted by Massachusetts businessman Tagg Romney – the son of onetime presidential candidate Mitt Romney – and Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Glavine.

Commissioner Rob Manfred told The Associated Press earlier this month that the two groups had submitted bids that were relatively even in price. It’s thought that the Marlins could fetch a sale price in the area of $1.3 billion.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s